Re: Standalone Windows Installation

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Jörn Heid <heid(at)hs-heilbronn(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Standalone Windows Installation
Date: 2008-10-01 03:56:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Jörn Heid wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want to use Postgres without installation. The problem is the
> dependencies on the Visual C dll (msvcrt).
> As far as I know it would be possible to include a manifest file (only
> for libpq.dll?) and bundle the dlls from c:\windows\WinSxS into the bin
> directory of Postgres.

That should work fine according to my understanding of the Windows
dynamic linker's behavour. I'm actually not even sure you'll need the
manifest, in that IIRC it should be embedded in the DLL if it was built
with a recent VC++.

You should also be able to bundle a private copy of the required VC++
runtime in the bin directory; it does not need to be installed in
WinSxS. I've done this with small Windows binaries I've distributed at
various points with no issues.

If you do this, make sure you do NOT put the PostgreSQL bin directory on
the PATH, as you may confuse any parallel installation of the official
PostgreSQL distribution. You should also use a different port to the
default, and if practical not listen on non-loopback TCP/IP interfaces.

--
Craig Ringer