Re: Compiler warnings in psqloodbc 08.03.0200

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Compiler warnings in psqloodbc 08.03.0200
Date: 2008-09-29 10:03:40
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

here's the fix for all non-pointer-signedness warnings,
against 08.03.0300 that was released meanwhile. Now
the compilation only emits 246 "differ in signedness"
warnings, which is still too much noise. I agree with
Tom Lane that those should be cleaned up if for nothing
else, than the real bugs don't get lost in the noise.

The patch cleans up such warnings in several files:
"label 'cleanup' defined but not used" and
"unused variable 'func'"

In convert.c::convert_escape():
"'param_consumed' may be used uninitialized in this function"
The variable "param_consumed" was not assigned a value
in all cases by processParameters() upon returning,
so I tried to fix it there. Now it does, please review.

In descriptor.c::TI_Constructor():
"the address of 'qual' will always evaluate as 'true'"
STRX_TO_NAME() has to be used instead of STR_TO_NAME.

In drvconn.c::dconn_get_attributes():
"'last' may be used uninitialized in this function"
The first parameter to strtok_r() may be NULL if
strdup() returns NULL. In that case strtok_r() may
corrupt unknown memory areas.

In pgapi30.c, two instances of
"cast from pointer to integer of different size"

In psqlodbc.c()::finalize_global_cs() is only used inside
"#ifdef WIN32" but was defined outside causing a
"defined but not used" warning.

Some notes:
- Instead of using 'CSTR func = "funcname";' everywhere,
it would be better to use the __FUNCTION__ pre-processor
macro. This way, the "unused variable 'func'" is eliminated
once and for all as __FUNCTION__ is available everywhere.
- The sea of "differ in signedness" warnings are caused by
the difference of "{SQL|U}CHAR *" and plain "char *".
Many ODBC API calls expect "SQLCHAR *" input.
Using strcpy(), strcmp(), etc. on them causes warnings.
Many internal psqlODBC functions expect a character input
and they are also used inconsistenly with different
signed and unsigned parameters.
Either the API parameters has to be treated internally
as "char *" and keep a local variable for this purpose,
or pass the SQLCHAR * down in other functions which
have to be declared with the appropriate header.
Fixing it either way would be quite invasive in terms
of patch size. The latter would mean smaller and
cleaner C source.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--