Re: Various intermittent bugs/instability - how to debug?

From: Frederik Ramm <frederik(dot)ramm(at)geofabrik(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Various intermittent bugs/instability - how to debug?
Date: 2008-09-26 00:25:38
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

just to give an update on this:

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Every other night, the process aborts with some strange error message,
> and never at the same position:

[...]

Turns out it *was* a RAM defect on one of the machines. memtest86 ran
for a day and didn't detect it, but when I started making copies of a
100 GB file and m5dsumming it afterwards, I'd get one or two bad copies
per day. I then juggled RAM chips until I had identified the defective
one. As you can imagine, this took a while.

Lesson learnt: memtest86 running for a day and not finding an error does
not mean your RAM is ok!

I still have occasional problems on the *other* machine (if you remember
my original post, I had similar errors on two different machines) and
even massive data copying did not show any error there but at least a
PostGIS bug seems extremely unlikely now (and that's still running stock
packages, not patched).

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm www.geofabrik.de
Geofabrik GmbH Handelsregister: HRB Mannheim 703657