Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COPY support in JDBC driver?
Date: 2008-09-25 07:05:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Albe Laurenz wrote:

> For me the nice thing about COPY support in JDBC would be that you have
> an easy way to load CSV files into the database or dump them out from a
> database, which is a requirement I encounter frequently.

It also permits you to do bulk load/dump operations within the context
of an ongoing JDBC transaction. Somebody on this list (or -general; I
don't remember) was trying to do that only a few days ago.

In addition to fast import/export of user data, I can also see uses for
it when trying to avoid having database setup scripts outside the
primary application. For apps you're distributing to end users, having
the Java app able to create and populate the initial database quickly
and efficiently rather than having to shell out to psql, get the user
to run scripts, etc is highly appealing.

Text-based COPY in the JDBC driver would be a significant plus to me. I
can't say I personally care about binary COPY especially with a language
that tries to be platform independent.

--
Craig Ringer