UFS 2: soft updates vs. gjournal (AKA: Choosing a filesystem 2.)

From: Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: UFS 2: soft updates vs. gjournal (AKA: Choosing a filesystem 2.)
Date: 2008-09-24 10:18:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi again,

Should I use gjournal on FreeBSD 7? Or just soft updates?

Here is my opinion: I suspect that gjournal would be much slower than
soft updates. Also gjournal is relatively new code, not very well
tested. But gjournal is better when the system crashes. Although I have
heard that sometimes gjournal will crash the system itself. There are
more pros for soft updates I would pefer that. But please let me
know if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Laszlo