Re: Initial prefetch performance testing

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initial prefetch performance testing
Date: 2008-09-23 12:26:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith napsal(a):
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008, Gregory Stark wrote:

>> I'm quite surprised Solaris doesn't support posix_fadvise -- perhaps
>> it's in some other version of Solaris?

Solaris has only fake variant of posix_fadvise. See
http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libc/port/gen/posix_fadvise.c

UFS has own optimization. For example if it detects sequential scan then
file cache is limited on 80kB. Or it also has prefetching.

ZFS has intelligent read patter recognitions algorithms and other
improvements.

Zdenek