Multi-line text fields

From: Mike Toews <mwtoews(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Multi-line text fields
Date: 2008-09-22 21:56:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi all,

I have some records that have some multiple lines within a single text
field. (On top of that, I think I have mixed DOS/UNIX line endings too).
I'm looking for two functions which can operate on a single field:

1. number of lines
2. a way to select the first line or to trim to the first line only
(the normal trim function doesn't appear to do this)

Thanks in advance.
-Mike