Re: pg_regress inputdir

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date: 2008-09-22 18:31:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> But I think Alvaro is worried about something
>> at a higher level: the regression test process as a whole has some
>> directory layout assumptions built into it, particularly in regards
>> to where to find .so's.
>
> The only information about the location of the .so's is in the test
> files themselves, which seems reasonable, because they are created and
> installed at the same time as the .so's that they are presumably
> supposed to test. So I see no problem here.

Here is a more involved patch that fixes all these issues. The major
simplication is that the input files are looked for in both the build
tree and the source tree (like a vpath search), which allowed me to
remove a lot of redundant makefile code. I could also remove the
--srcdir option but added --dlpath to address the above mentioned issue
and changed some option defaults. Now you can run pg_regress inside and
outside of the build tree. It isn't quite ready for the general public,
but a packager that wants to adopt this can use it. Currently, you need
to create the directories sql, expected, and testtablespace yourself,
when running outside the build tree. We can attempt to sort that out
later, but SELinux might make it difficult.

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgregress.diff text/plain 34.1 KB