Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] fix dblink security hole
Date: 2008-09-21 20:11:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, a possible hole in this scheme would be if a user could supply a
> conninfo string that was intentionally malformed in a way that would
> cause a tacked-on pgpassfile option to be ignored by libpq. We might
> need to add some validity checks to dblink, or tighten libpq's own
> checks.

If we push the responsibility back to dblink, we might as well export
conninfo_parse() or some wrapper thereof and let dblink simply check for
a non-null password from the very beginning.

Or perhaps we should modify conninfo_parse() to throw an error if it
sees the same option more than once. Then dblink could prepend
pgpassfile (or ignore_pgpass) to the beginning of the connstr and not
have to worry about being overridden. Not sure if the backward
compatibility hit is worth it though.

Joe