Re: Do we really need a 7.4.22 release now?

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we really need a 7.4.22 release now?
Date: 2008-09-20 09:02:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I guess I don't understand where Joe User was supposed to have gotten
> the message that 7.4 was on its last legs. If anything, the fact that
> it is on patchlevel 21 suggests otherwise. Us hackers and developers
> shudder at seeing a 7.4 database, but there are plenty of businesses
> who are still using it, and I think we owe it to them to give more
> advance warning that no more patchlevels are coming along than 3
> months.

The few postings I have noticed with users running 7.4 has been with a
release several less than the newest. One of the first suggestions is
always to install the newest update.

Out of the users out there that still have 7.4 servers running, what
percentage use the newest update?
I am certain it's not 100%
I doubt it would be much more that 50%

I would think the old rule of don't fix what ain't broke would be fairly
common among 7.4 users. The fact that it took 5 years to find a problem
to be fixed would indicate that it isn't a show stopping issue that they
need fixed.

Supporting old versions is a great and noble thing but there comes a
time when it is a waste of resources because the effort goes unused.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz