Re: Errors installing contrib

From: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
To: kevin kempter <kevin(at)kevinkempterllc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Errors installing contrib
Date: 2008-09-19 23:04:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>> a pg_config --libdir shows me /usr/lib64
>>>
>>> however the make install installs the pg_buffercache
>>> in /pgmoveable/lib/postgresql
>>>

>> How was postgresql installed on the machine in the first place? RPM?
>> DEB? Just guessing by the pg_config output, I'd say postgresql was
>> installed on the server via some package management and you also have
>> a separately compiled source tree? If you installed from package
>> management, there usually is a contrib package which contains
>> pg_buffercache as well as the other normal contrib modules.
>>
> Looks like they have both. there are postgres binaries in /usr/bin
> tied to 8.1.4 RPM's. There are also binaries in /pg825/bin tied to a
> postgres 8.2.5 source install.
>
> In either case I get the same error
>
> I go to /usr/share/pgsql/contrib installed by
> the postgresql-contrib-8.1.4-1.1 rpm and run /usr/bin/psql -f
> pg_buffercache.sql <dbname>
>
> I also tried goint to the src tree in the contrib/pg_buffercache dir
> and running this:
> export PATH=/pg825/bin
> make (as postgres)
> make install (as root)
> /pg825/bin/psql -f pg_buffercache.sql <dbname>
>

> also
> /usr/bin/pg_config --libdir shows me /usr/lib64
>
> /pg825/bin/pg_config --libdir shows me /disk1/pg825/lib
>

> I even tried placing the pg_buffercache.so.* files from the src build
> in the lib dirs:
> /usr/lib64
> /disk1/pg825/lib
> /disk1/pg825/lib/postgresql
>
> and I still got the same error
>

> Thoughts ?

Look for one of the standard libs like: plpgsql.so to see where the
running postgresql's lib dir might be. You can also start up psql and
issue:

show dynamic_library_path ;

to see if it's says anything other than $libdir.

Probably worthwhile to also do a 'show config_file;' to see which
postgresql.conf the running server is using.

--
Jeff Frost, Owner <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>
Frost Consulting, LLC http://www.frostconsultingllc.com/