Re: PostgreSQL future ideas

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: 'Joshua Drake' <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "'Jonah H(dot) Harris'" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Dave Page' <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, 'PGSQL Hackers' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, david(at)fetter(dot)org, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL future ideas
Date: 2008-09-19 22:52:31
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Gevik Babakhani wrote:
>> I think the better question about all of this is:
>> What is the problem we are trying to solve?
>> Providing solutions that are looking for problems doesn't help us.
>> Sincerely,
>>

> Perhaps the current codebase and design in C will serve us for years and
> years to come. In fact there is no doubt about that and switching to an OO
> design is no easy task. But times change and technologies evolve. So should
> any software solution that is hoping to continue and compete with other
> competitors of the same kind.
>
> Procedural programming languages like C may have been languages of choice
> for many years but they gradually loose developer audience just because of
> the reason above. I am afraid PG is no exception here.

That's a two way street. I have far more experience in writing C than
C++. No doubt I could adapt, but it would certainly slow me down for a
while at least.

Frankly, this looks like a solution in search of a problem. When OS
kernels are all written in C++ I might accept that there is a good case,
but I see no sign of anything like that happening.

cheers

andrew