Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal of SE-PostgreSQL patches (for CommitFest:Sep)
Date: 2008-09-19 16:48:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
>> [2] Make a new implementation of OS-independent fine grained access control
>>
>> If it is really really necessary, I may try to implement a new separated
>> fine-grained access control mechanism due to the CommitFest:Nov.
>> However, we don't have enough days to develop one more new feature from
>> the scratch by the deadline.
>
> +1.
>
> ...Robert

It's too early to vote. :-)

The second and third option have prerequisite.
The purpose of them is to match granularity of access controls
provided by SE-PostgreSQL and native PostgreSQL. However, I have
not seen a clear reason why these different security mechanisms
have to have same granuality in access controls.

As I mentioned before, it is quite natural that different security
mechanism provides its access controls in different granuality,
as widely accepted in Linux.

The reason is now unclear for me.

Thanks,