Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wiki.postgresql.org is awfully slow this evening
Date: 2008-09-04 16:36:24
Lists: pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> Fair enough, I withdraw the dedicated box request. Can we perhaps separate
>> the wiki then, so we don't have a repeat of yesterday? Maybe put wiki
>> or git onto one of the more lightly loaded physical boxes?
>
> I think the real bottom line here is that our (meaning the developers')
> use of and dependence on the wiki has increased enormously over the past
> few months, meaning that it's time to put it on beefier hardware. The
> VM/jail setup was intended to make exactly that sort of thing easy, no?
>
> (I'm not sure if the above statement is actually true, or if this was
> just a one-time occurrence. But I'd certainly vote for moving the wiki
> if it's getting at all resource-starved.)

this was clearly a one-time incident(and I'm fairly sure there was a
network issue too) - we only have two jails on alderaan at all and it is
more than fast enough to handle the wiki and git.

http://www.kaltenbrunner.cc/files/alderaan.postgresql.org-cpu-day.png

shows pretty nicely that after I killed the two rough processes load
diminished - what is more interesting here actually why our current
monitoring failed to detect that situation which is what I'm current
investigating ...

Stefan