Re: slow update of index during insert/copy

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Date: 2008-09-02 06:39:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2008, Thomas Finneid wrote:

Thanks for all the info on the disk controller, I will have to look
through all that now :)

> I note that nobody has talked about your postgresql.conf yet. I assume
> you've turned autovacuum off because you're not ever deleting things
> from these tables.

That is correct.

> You'll still need to run VACUUM ANALYZE periodically
> to keep good statistics for your tables, but I don't think that's

will look at it.

> You should try setting this to open_sync , that can be considerably
> faster for some write-heavy situations. Make sure to test that
> throughly though, there are occasional reports of issues with that
> setting under Linux; seems to vary based on kernel version. I haven't
> had a chance to test the Ubuntu Hardy heavily in this area yet myself.

The production machine is Solaris 10 running on a Sun v980. Do you know
of it has any issues like these?
Additionally, would I need to do any config changes when going from
linux to solaris?

The v980 has got lots of memory and a FC disk system, but I don't know
much more about controllers and disk etc. But I suspects its got at
least the same features as the disks and controller thats in the devel
machine.

regards

thomas