Re: slow update of index during insert/copy

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)student(dot)matnat(dot)uio(dot)no>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: slow update of index during insert/copy
Date: 2008-09-01 20:32:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Carey wrote:
> For a development box, just enable write-back caching regardless of the
> battery back up situation. As long as its not your only copy of

Will have a look at it, the data is not important and can be reproduced
any time on any machine. The controller I have is a Areca ARC-1220
Serial ATA 8 port RAID Controller - PCI-E, SATA II, so I dont know
exactly what it supports of caching.

> On JDBC and COPY:
> Thanks for the info on the patch to support it -- however the versions
> posted there are rather old, and the 8.3 version is not even the same as
> the 8 month old current release -- its 3 releases prior and 8 months
> older than that. There are quite a few bugfixes between 8.3 - v600 and
> v603: http://jdbc.postgresql.org/changes.html and that concerns me. Is
> there a patched version of the latest driver? Or will that have to be

It was someone on the list who told me about the patch, I dont know the
situation of the patch at the current moment. I am using the patch on an
PG 8.2.7, and it works fine.

> On the performance impact of using COPY instead of INSERT : out of
> curiosity, were you comparing COPY against raw row-by-row inserts (slow)
> or JDBC batch inserts (faster) or multi-row inserts: INSERT into X
> (a,b,c) values (1,2,3) , (4,5,6) , (7,8,9 ) , (10,11,12) ....
> ?

I tested row by row and jdbc batch, but I dont have the measured numbers
any more. But I suppose I could recreate the test if, need be.

regards
thomas