Re: Do I have a corrupted database?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: William Garrison <postgres(at)mobydisk(dot)com>
Cc: postgres General List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do I have a corrupted database?
Date: 2008-08-27 01:45:20
Lists: pgsql-general

William Garrison wrote:
> I fear I have a corrupted database, and I'm not sure what to do.

First, make sure you have a recent backup. If your backups rotate, stop
the rotation so that all currently available historical copies of the
database are preserved from now on - just in case you need them.

Now, if possible dump your database with pg_dump. Restore the dump to a
test database instance and make sure that it all goes OK.

Once that's done, so you know you have a decent recovery point to work
from in case you make a mistake during your recovery efforts.

After that I don't have all that much to offer, especially as you're
using an operating system I don't have much experience with Pg on and
you're using an (unspecified) SAN.

Normally I'd ask if you'd verified your RAID array / tested your disks.
In this case, I'm wondering if there's any chance there was a service
interruption on the SAN that might've caused some sort of intermittent
or partial writes.

> 2008-08-23 20:00:27 ERROR: xlog flush request E0/293CF278 is not
> satisfied --- flushed only to E0/21B1B7F0
> 2008-08-23 20:00:27 CONTEXT: writing block 94218 of relation
> 16712/16713/16725
> 2008-08-23 20:04:36 DETAIL: Multiple failures --- write error may be
> permanent.

Yeah, I'm really wondering about the SAN and SAN connection. What sort
of SAN is it? How is the host connected? Does it have any sort of
logging and monitoring that might let you see if there was a problem
around the time Pg was complaining?

Have you checked the Windows error logs?

--
Craig Ringer