Re: BUG #4374: pg_restore does not restore public schema comment

From: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4374: pg_restore does not restore public schema comment
Date: 2008-08-26 07:21:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hallo Craig,

Craig Ringer schrieb:
> So: the user's report is incorrect in blaming pg_restore, but correct in
> that comments on the public schema (and presumably other default schema)
> aren't preserved by pg_dump | pg_restore. The real reason appears to be
> that they're not dumped in the first place.

I do a dump on Linux Postgres 8.3.1 in custom format. When I try to read
it (gzip -d > myfile;less myfile) i find a string like "COMMENT ON
SCHEMA public IS 'mycomment'". So I assumed that pg_dump actually dumps
it. But I don't know why there is a "DROP SCHEMA public" in the file.
Thats why I assumed pg_restore fails here.
> I haven't checked to see if a custom dump behaves differently.
>
> Craig Ringer

I didn't check the plain text format :).

Daniel Migowski