Re: Trigger function is not called

From: Bill <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trigger function is not called
Date: 2008-08-25 23:52:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bill <pg(at)dbginc(dot)com> writes:
>
>> In a newsgroup posting someone suggested that constraint checks on
>> domains occur before the before insert trigger.
>>

> Yeah, that is the case, but if a domain check was failing then the
> row wouldn't get inserted, so I'm not clear on how this matches up
> with your report.
>
> regards, tom lane

The row is not getting inserted. I just created a test table and trigger
and confirmed that the trigger fires if the column is defined as bigint
not null and fails after I change the type to the domain. I will alter
all of the tables and get rid of the domain.

Is it possible to create a type and use that instead of the domain or
will I have the same problem with a type?

Bill