Re: Dialogs Review new patch

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dialogs Review new patch
Date: 2008-08-25 23:34:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :
>>> - dlgManageMacros - if the size is reduced to minimum, a horizontal
>>> scrollbar is show in the list control, due to the width of the name
>>> column.
>>>
>> I don't have this issue. Perhaps do you mean dlgManageFavorites? or is
>> it on Mac OS X?
>
> Possibly - and no, Windows.

OK, I see what you mean.

>>> - dlgTrigger, dlgSequence and dlgView are quite tall. The latter two
>>> are currently constrained by the height of the privs pane, but perhaps
>>> also by the comments textbox which certainly could be smaller. Not
>>> sure if it would be enough to get them to the standard size though
>>> (perhaps we need two or three standard sizes)?
>>>
>> dlgTrigger is smaller. The four checkboxes are now in a 2x2
>> wxFlexGridSizer. If we want to make it smaller once again, we need to
>> replace the wxRadioBox with a wxComboBox.
>>
>> dlgSequence will need another tab, so we can reduce its size.
>>
>> dlgView is smaller too because of the resizeable Properties tab.
>>
>> The biggest one is now dlgSequence.
>
> OK, cool. I guess we could just move the rarely-used sequence options
> to a second tab.

OK, fixed.

>>> - The privileges panes doesn't size yet.
>>>
>> It does now. It took me five hours to get something working. Glad it's
>> finished :)
>
> Yikes. I think I owe you more than a few beers at PGDay this year :-)

:)

I'm not sure I'll go to pgDay this year.

>>> - Most dialogues seem to have an unused status bar at the bottom. I
>>> think we should either remove it universally, or make it work
>>> properly. What do you think?
>>>
>> Make them work properly would be better. The status bar offers important
>> informations when a user deals with an unusual object (conversion for
>> example).
>>
>> It doesn't work well on Mac?
>
> Never seems to display anything on Windows.

Fixed. The status bar is really oddly used.

>> Not sure if we really want this now. It's difficult to know what I
>> should commit. Obviously, the "remaining-to-be-fixed" should not :)
>
> Well, I'll leave it to you to decide what you think is most appropriate.

I needed to fix the last Privileges issue (wxListCtrl issue on Mac OS
X). Now that it is fixed, I'll commit a part of my patch.

>> But can I commit the ctlSecurityPanel.cpp which takes care of the
>> Privileges tab without commiting dlgTable? dlgTable still needs a fix
>> but I don't know how the old dltTable will behave with the new
>> resizeable Privileges tab.
>
> Probably fine - it just takes a minute to find out :-)
>
> Don't worry if you temporarily break the odd dialog. SVN code isn't
> supposed to be stable, and I think that's probably a small price to
> pay to avoid bitrot.

I'll only commit some pieces of my patch. Here are the dialogs that
won't be commited:

* dlgFunction (status bar, OK and cancel buttons don't display
correctly on Mac)
* dlgLanguage (strange error about wxChoice::GetString on Mac...
strange because there's no wxChoice widget on this dialog)
* dlgTable (wxListCtrl issue on Columns tab, on Mac)
* dlgType (on Mac and Windows)
* dlgRole (no chkValue on Variables tab, on Linux)
* dlgSchedule (Days and Times tabs, on all platforms)

New patch is available on:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/~guillaume/dialogreview_20080825.patch.bz2

It'll be commited tomorrow afternoon (if no one objects).

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org