Latin2 and UTF-8 encoding.

From: "kpeter(at)oszk(dot)hu" <kpeter(at)oszk(dot)hu>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Latin2 and UTF-8 encoding.
Date: 2008-08-25 10:29:14
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dear Sur!

My name is Peter Kovacs and I work at the National Szechenyi Library in
Hunagry.
The reason why im writing this letter is the follow:
We are using Potgresql to store our data. We have UTF-8, LATIN1 and
LATIN2 encoded databases.
I haven't got any problem with database encoding before, but when I
tried ro restore our database dumps to a postgresql 8.3.3 server it faild.
If I tried to create a database with NON-UTF-8 character encoding I got
the following error:

*SQL error:*

ERROR: encoding LATIN2 does not match server's locale en_AU.UTF-8
DETAIL: The server's LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding UTF8.

*In statement:*
CREATE DATABASE "probadb" WITH ENCODING='LATIN2'

The problem is that we need both UTF-8, LATIN1 and LATIN2 characters.

My question is: How could I create a database with NON-UTF-8 encoding.

Regards!

Peter Kovacs