Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Easy upgrade on Cpanel *without* downtime
Date: 2008-08-25 09:34:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have googled and googled for good, simple instructions to upgrade
> from 8.2.3 to 8.3.3 (latest stable at this time?)
>
> I am on a Cpanel interface. Use Apache and PHP for most of my websites.
>
> This seems to be the most often quoted resource on forums etc:
>
> http://kb.linuxnetworkcare.com/node/21
>
> But this suggests backing up, then UNinstalling (downtime and loss of
> settings!), then REinstalling postgresql.
>
> Is there no sensible way of simply upgrading the database engine
> without affecting either the uptime or the data itself?
>
> I really really do not wish to backup gigabytes worth of data and then
> reupload it back into the DB. This represents a downtime of *at least*
> an hour or so, which our busy website doesn't have.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers?

The usual way to do it and to avoid downtime is to install
the new version along the old one, backup/restore as usual
(e.g. pg_dump | pg_restore to avoid wasting space 2 times)
then run slony to permanently update the last bits
while you are checking settings and performance of the new
version. If everything is fine, use a calm moment to switch
your configuration to use the new database in production.

Regards
Tino