Re: Re: Efficiently determining the number of bits set in the contents of, a VARBIT field

From: Allan Kamau <allank(at)sanbi(dot)ac(dot)za>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Efficiently determining the number of bits set in the contents of, a VARBIT field
Date: 2008-08-22 18:41:10
Lists: pgsql-sql

All was well with the code below, apologies to all who read my previous
email. The error (an oversight) was on my part. In the "CREATE FUNCTION
..." statement I had FLOAT as the return type instead of INTEGER.
Now the function runs smoothly. Preliminary results show it is orders of
magnitude faster than the LENGTH(REGEXP(CAST(myVarBit AS
TEXT),'0','','g')) solution.
Thanks again TJ and the rest of the team.

Allan