Re: Re: Efficiently determining the number of bits set in the contents of, a VARBIT field

From: Allan Kamau <allank(at)sanbi(dot)ac(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Efficiently determining the number of bits set in the contents of, a VARBIT field
Date: 2008-08-21 18:58:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thank you TJ and everyone else for the advise and the c code. Today I
did finally return to the 'number of bits set challenge' and managed to
compile and link the nbits c function which went smoothly. However the
function does crash my postgres server installation (8.3.3) with a
segmentation fault each time I call it for example SELECT
nbits_set(B'1101');
My C skills are very sparse and am unable to debug the function, I have
included the C code of this function. Is there something I may have left
out?

#include "postgres.h"
#include "utils/varbit.h"
#include "fmgr.h"
#ifdef PG_MODULE_MAGIC
PG_MODULE_MAGIC;
#endif

PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(nbits_set);
Datum
nbits_set(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
{
/* how many bits are set in a bitstring? */
VarBit *a = PG_GETARG_VARBIT_P(0);
int n=0;
int i;
unsigned char *ap = VARBITS(a);
unsigned char aval;
for (i=0; i < VARBITBYTES(a); ++i) {
aval = *ap; ++ap;
if (aval == 0) continue;
if (aval & 1) ++n;
if (aval & 2) ++n;
if (aval & 4) ++n;
if (aval & 8) ++n;
if (aval & 16) ++n;
if (aval & 32) ++n;
if (aval & 64) ++n;
if (aval & 128) ++n;
}
PG_RETURN_INT32(n);
}

Allan

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>
>> TJ O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>>> I use a c function, nbits_set that will do what you need.
>>> I've posted the code in this email.
>>>
>>> TJ O'Donnell
>>> http://www.gnova.com
>>>
>>> #include "postgres.h"
>>> #include "utils/varbit.h"
>>>
>>> Datum nbits_set(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS);
>>> PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1(nbits_set);
>>> Datum
>>> nbits_set(PG_FUNCTION_ARGS)
>>> {
>>> /* how many bits are set in a bitstring? */
>>>
>>> VarBit *a = PG_GETARG_VARBIT_P(0);
>>> int n=0;
>>> int i;
>>> unsigned char *ap = VARBITS(a);