Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Christiaan Willemsen <cwillemsen(at)technocon(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance
Date: 2008-08-21 19:14:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Carey wrote:
> For reads, if your shared_buffers is large enough, your heavily used
> indexes won't likely go to disk much at all.

ISTM this would happen regardless of your shared_buffers setting.
If you have enough memory the OS should cache the frequently used
pages regardless of shared_buffers; and if you don't have enough
memory it won't.

> ... splitting up data and indexes ...

FWIW, I've had a system where moving pgsql_tmp to different disks
helped more than moving indexes.