About a message when "pg_ctl -w start" failed

From: Tatsuhito Kasahara <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About a message when "pg_ctl -w start" failed
Date: 2008-08-21 12:44:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

When we perform "pg_ctl -w start", postgres try to connect to
postgres-database until timeout.

If a user who perform "pg_ctl -w start" does not have authority to connect
postgres-database, pg_ctl will return 1 and show "could not start server" message.
But, in fact server is already starting. Therefore, users sometimes confuse.

I think that if we failed on test_postmaster_connection(), pg_ctl might
want to return 0 and show the message like following...
"server starting, but could not connect server. Check your authority."

Your thoughts?

Best regards.
--
Tatsuhito Kasahara
kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp