Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Joshua Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A smaller default postgresql.conf
Date: 2008-08-19 16:45:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> Well, why not just make a one-eighty and say that the default
> postgresql.conf is *empty* (except for whatever initdb puts into it)?
> I've never thought that the current contents were especially useful
> as documentation; the kindest thing you can say about 'em is that they
> are duplicative of the SGML documentation. For novices they aren't
> even adequately duplicative.

Well, that doesn't help unless we either provide a .conf generation tool
(something I favor) or docs somewhere which explain which are the
variables to be the most concerned with instead of making users read
through all 218 of them.

Attached is the postgresql.conf.simple I used in my presentaiton. It
has an egregious math error in it (see if you can find it) but should
give you the general idea.

--Josh

Attachment Content-Type Size
postgresql.conf.simple text/plain 11.4 KB