Git mirrors and the release branches

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Git mirrors and the release branches
Date: 2008-08-18 22:57:05
Lists: pgsql-www

Short summary:

A quick (I hope) question about the git mirror.

Should I expect git.postgresql.org to have up-to-date release
branches (like 8.3) somewhere ? At first glance it seems
to me the git mirror at http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git
does have up-to-date release branches, but the one at
git.postgresql.org doesn't.

Longer:

At work I'm maintaining a patch that I need to have work against a
couple releases of postgres; and would prefer to do this with git
over CVS if it's practical. I found a couple git repositories,
one of which sounds more official (has .postgresql.org domain)
but doesn't seem to have the branches; and another one on repo.or.cz
that does seem to have the branches.

If I read http://git.postgresql.org/?p=postgresql.git;a=summary
heads
7 hours ago master shortlog | log | tree
6 months ago REL8_3_STABLE shortlog | log | tree
20 months ago REL8_2_STABLE shortlog | log | tree
correctly, it seems to me the GIT mirror on git.postgresql.org
doesn't import checkins to the release branches.

In contrast, it seems http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git
heads
7 hours ago master shortlog | log | tree
2 days ago REL8_2_STABLE shortlog | log | tree
2 days ago REL8_3_STABLE shortlog | log | tree
and in pictures:
http://repo.or.cz/git-browser/by-commit.html?r=PostgreSQL.git
does at first glance seem to have all the checkins on
all the branches.

Does git.postgresql.org already has those branches somewhere I'm
not looking? If not, is it reasonable to ask that they be added?
I can volunteer to do some of the work if someone points me in the
right direction to get this done. Or would it make more sense
to just use the repo.or.cz repo...