Re: Extending varlena

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extending varlena
Date: 2008-08-18 22:35:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 06:09:13PM -0400, Andrew Chernow wrote:
>> David Fetter wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> As the things stored in databases grow, we're going to start
>>> needing to think about database objects that 4 bytes of size can't
>>> describe. People are already storing video in lo and bytea fields.
>>> To date, the sizes of media files have never trended downward.
>> I always find these requests puzzling. Is it really useful to store
>> the data for a jpeg, video file or a 10GB tar ball in a database
>> column?
>
> It is if you need transaction semantics. Think medical records, etc.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I see that, although developing the middleware between db and fs is
rather trival. I think that is the puzzling part. It just feels akward
to "me" to just stuff it in the db. You can do more by distributing.

Anyways (back on topic), I am in favor of removing limits from any
section of the database ... not just your suggestion. The end-user
application should impose limits.

Andrew