Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database?

From: justin <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>
To: Ow Mun Heng <Ow(dot)Mun(dot)Heng(at)wdc(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amber <guxiaobo1982(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's size of your PostgreSQL Database?
Date: 2008-08-18 15:01:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> [...]
I see no problem using Raid-0 on a purely read only database where there
is a copy of the data somewhere else. RAID 0 gives performance. If one
of the 3 drives dies it takes the server down and lost of data will
happen. The idea behind RAID 1/5/6/10 is if a drive does fail the
system can keep going. Giving you time to shut down and replace the
bad disk or if you have hot swappable just pull and replace. I just
went through failed drives on Email server a few months ago. This a
case where i told the client the server is 5 years old time to replace
it about 3 months latter i get a call "the server is really slow". It
turned out 1 of the drives in the RAID 10 had failed. The client
allowed me to order a new server at that point.