Re: BUG #3818: Cross compilation problems

From: Richard Evans <richard(dot)evans(at)blueallegro(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: BUG #3818: Cross compilation problems
Date: 2008-08-11 19:04:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Am Saturday, 9. August 2008 schrieb Richard Evans:
>> I've made a couple of patches, for 8.3.3 and 8.2.9, which enable cross
>> compilation for windows (mingw32) from a unix platform.
>
> This looks good, with a couple of tweaks. I don't think we are going
to be
> making these kinds of changes in the 8.2 and 8.3 branches, so I
suggest you
> prepare a patch for 8.4. Some of the makefiles have changed, so a
bit of
> work might be involved.

This is from the source repository? I'll take a look.

>> 2. in various makefiles, checking BUILDOS not PORTNAME when deciding
>> whether to use 'pwd -W' or just 'pwd'
>
> I was wondering, what is the difference between these? And couldn't
we just
> use $(CURDIR) instead?

I'm not sure why the makefiles need the current directory. pwd -W is
specific to mingw, I think it gives the directory in windows format. It
has to be changed for cross compilation otherwise you get errors.

>> 5. Working round a binutils-2.18 bug in windres when the rc file has /
>> or \ in the path
>
> What is the status of this bug? Shouldn't it be fixed instead?

The bug is fixed in the binutils source repository, so presumably will
be fixed in 2.19. But it seems better to support the current version
rather than wait for the next.

Richard