Re: more than 1000 connections

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Jorge Medina <jorge(at)bsdchile(dot)cl>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: more than 1000 connections
Date: 2008-08-06 00:06:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jorge Medina wrote:
> hi guys
>
> I know this list it's about SQL, but if somebody have a pgsql engine
> with 1000 or more concurrent connections please show me the
> postgresql.conf or if the pgpool work as a solution to this problem.

Out of interest - why 1000 connections?

Do you really expect to have 1000 jobs concurrently active and doing
work? If you don't, then you'll be wasting resources and slowing things
down for no reason. There is a connection overhead in PostgreSQL - IIRC
mostly related to database-wide locking and synchronization, but also
some memory for each backend - that means you probably shouldn't run
vastly more backends than you intend to have actively working.

If you described your problem, perhaps someone could give you a useful
answer. Your mention of pgpool suggests that you're probably using a web
app and running into connection count limits, but I shouldn't have to
guess that.

--
Craig Ringer