Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"
Date: 2023-01-30 16:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com> writes:
>> I've found a solution:
>>
>> ```
>> export SGML_CATALOG_FILES=/usr/local/etc/xml/catalog
>> export XMLLINT="xmllint --catalogs"
>> export XSLTPROC="xsltproc --catalogs"
>> ```

Hmm, there is no such directory on my Mac, and indeed this recipe
does not work here. I tried to transpose it to MacPorts by
substituting /opt/local/etc/xml/catalog, which does exist --- but
the recipe still doesn't work.

I believe what is actually failing is that http://docbook.sourceforge.net
now redirects to https:, and the ancient xsltproc version provided by
Apple doesn't do https. What you need to do if you want to use their
xsltproc is install a local copy of the SGML catalog files and
stylesheets, preferably in the place that xsltproc would look by default
(/etc/xml/catalog seems to be the standard one). It would be good to
document how to do that, but this patch doesn't do so.

What we do actually have already is a recommendation to install
appropriate MacPorts or Homebrew packages:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/docguide-toolsets.html#DOCGUIDE-TOOLSETS-INST-MACOS

and it works okay for me as long as I use MacPorts' version of xsltproc.