Re: contrib catalogs

From: Kevin Neufeld <kneufeld(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib catalogs
Date: 2008-07-24 15:42:59
Lists: pgsql-general

> Tom Lane wrote:

>> A superuser can create whatever he wants in pg_catalog. Whether this
>> is a good idea or will behave smoothly is a topic that has not been
>> thought about, to my knowledge.
>>
>> regards, tom lane

Sorry, Tom. I think you are mistaken. In my 8.3 instance, system
catalog modifications are not allowed.

/opt/pgsql83/bin/psql -p 5432 -U postgres postgres

Type: \copyright for distribution terms
\h for help with SQL commands
\? for help with psql commands
\q to quit

postgres=# \du
List of roles
Role name | Superuser | Create role | Create DB | Connections | Member of
postgres | yes | yes | yes | no limit | {}

postgres=# CREATE TABLE pg_catalog.test (id integer);
ERROR: permission denied to create "pg_catalog.test"
DETAIL: System catalog modifications are currently disallowed.

It would be interesting to test a contrib module install in pg_catalog
though.
Cheers,
-- Kevin