Re: pltcl_*mod commands are broken on Solaris 10

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pltcl_*mod commands are broken on Solaris 10
Date: 2008-07-23 19:01:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> Tom Lane napsal(a):
>>> Actually it looks like it's been a very long time since these scripts
>>> got any love anyway. There's no reason anymore to split modules into
>>> multiple rows (not since TOAST...) and they're not schema-safe either.
>>> Anybody feel like cleaning them up? Or should we leave 'em as-is
>>> for compatibility reasons?
>
>> Just a dumb question, does we need this functionality? Does anybody use it?
>
> Well, autoloading Tcl scripts is an extremely standard thing to do in
> the Tcl world. It makes sense to me for pltcl to provide a way of
> autoloading code out of the database instead of some random search path
> or other --- particularly for trusted pltcl, which shouldn't allow
> access to the server filesystem at all.

I see.

> Whether these particular scripts are the best possible implementation of
> the concept is another argument, of course. But I wouldn't agree with
> just ripping 'em out. Note that my complaints above don't bear on
> functionality, at least not unless someone is working in an environment
> where the search_path varies a lot. So the lack of maintenance effort
> doesn't indicate that they're not getting used.

I understand. However I have another dumb idea/question - It seems to me that it
is client code. I think that it should be integrated into psql command. It has
several advantages - remove dependency on tclsh, remove tree commands, works
fine on system where tcl is not present.

thanks Zdenek

--
Zdenek Kotala Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic http://sun.com/postgresql