Re: The keyword in the procedure's error message is "function", which should be "procedure"

From: qtds_126 <qtds_126(at)126(dot)com>
To: "zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com" <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The keyword in the procedure's error message is "function", which should be "procedure"
Date: 2022-09-22 06:53:10
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Zhao

Thank you for your reply, I understand.
The issue can be considered as a suggested feature improvement.
I think it would be better to use the keyword "procedure" in the error message if we can be sure that it is indeed a procedure error. This will not be misunderstood by the user.

Thank you.

| |
Xintang Liu

qtds_126(at)126(dot)com

---- Replied Message ----
| From | Junwang Zhao<zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com> |
| Date | 9/21/2022 23:05 |
| To | qtds_126<qtds_126(at)126(dot)com> |
| Cc | pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org<pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org> |
| Subject | Re: The keyword in the procedure's error message is "function", which should be "procedure" |
hi qtds_123,

After some discussion with the hacker lists, this should not be considered a bug.

quote from tom lane's comments:

More generally: there are probably dozens, if not hundreds, of
messages in the backend that say "function" but nowadays might
also be talking about a procedure. I'm not sure there's value
in improving just one of them.

I am pretty sure that we made an explicit decision some time back
that it is okay to say "function" when the object could also be
an aggregate or window function. So you could at least cut this
back to just handling "procedure" and "function". Or you could
change it to "routine" as Julien suggests, but I think a lot of
people will not think that's an improvement.

see thread [1] for more information.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAEG8a3K6kQmFJz6D2VB50wQTN6VRBGC7C%2BDBh20kkxH-1haW8Q%40mail.gmail.com