Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date: 2008-07-21 19:53:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> Comments?

Well, in the *general* case, I think if we're going to have "first
class" pgfoundry projects, then having a unified "official" Kitchen Sink
Package will all of these add-ins becomes an imperative priority for
8.4. EDB's recent open sourcing of their installer might help with this.

Futher, we would need to come up with some organized way to subject
pgFoundry projects to the same level of general scrutiny which core code
gets. Or at least close.

In the specific cases of pl/proxy and citext, they are very much in line
with what we already package with the core code, including things like
dblink, ISN, and CIDR. citext in particular would eliminate a long-time
newbie complaint about Postgres, but not if it's in an add-in package
which the user can't find binaries for.

So I would argue "maybe" on pl/proxy, but that citext does belong in core.

--Josh Berkus