Configuring pg on os x lion

From: Andrew Barinov <andy(dot)lauerbarinov(at)me(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Configuring pg on os x lion
Date: 2012-04-27 19:22:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get pg working on os x lion and getting some configuration errors. Wondering if anyone on this list faced these before.

I installed pg via homebrew and I get this error when trying to launch it via a local web server on my machine:
could not connect to server: No such file or directory
So I go ahead and try to run postgres directly. When I do I get this:
larson:~ larson$ /usr/local/Cellar/postgresql/9.1.3/bin/postgres ; exit;
postgres does not know where to find the server configuration file.
You must specify the --config-file or -D invocation option or set the PGDATA environment variable.
logout
So my thinking here is that the config files are missing. I searched for pg_hba.conf file and couldn't find it. Now I am unsure how to proceed, when I used pg on os x Snow Leopard I could go into a ~/Library/Developer/postgresql folder and all my config files would be there. There would also be logs I could read to get a better idea of what's going. Now those seem to be missing, does anyone know where I can find them?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Andrew