Sync replication waits for only 1 slave

From: A J <s5aly(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: PG Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Sync replication waits for only 1 slave
Date: 2011-06-07 21:33:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello

Having a master and 2 slaves in synchronous replication mode in 9.1

The master seems to wait for only one slave to respond before considering the
transaction to be complete. I have done the setting for master to wait for all
the slaves to finish:
synchronous_standby_names = '*'
I even tried replacing * with both the slave application_names.

Still master just waits for a single slave. Am I doing something incorrect or is
it a limitation ?

Thanks.
AJ