Re: 10.5 OS X ppc64 problem

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: David Brown <sketchy(at)mac(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 10.5 OS X ppc64 problem
Date: 2008-07-16 18:17:12
Lists: pgsql-general

David Brown wrote:
> I'm trying to install the ppc64 bit version on my server, It
> completes, but when I try to build PHP with postgre support, it
> complains about a set of libraries in the postgresql install and it
> dumps this:

> I am configuring with these settings. CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64
> -g -Os -pipe -no-cpp-precomp" CCFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -g -Os
> -pipe" CXXFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -g -Os -pipe" LDFLAGS="-arch
> ppc -arch ppc64 -bind_at_load"
>
> All I see are issues with the ppc64 build, and the binaries are all
> crap. One universal binary had ppc, i386, x86_64, but no ppc64.
> Since everything in 10.5 is 64 bit, php will not compile with 32 bit
> postgre libraries (unless I missed something).
>
> sh-3.2# file libpq.dylib
> libpq.dylib: Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
>
> Can anyone offer any advice?

There has been some talk about getting postgres to build as a universal
binary. The current makefiles don't support the option but a couple of
people have come up with work arounds. I do believe that there are plans
to add this to future releases.

An informative post would be -
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-02/msg00200.php

--