Re: Requirements For Postgresql Database

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: aravind chandu <avin_friends(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: postgresql Forums <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Requirements For Postgresql Database
Date: 2008-07-14 04:12:49
Lists: pgsql-general

aravind chandu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just need the information related to the requirements of postgresql
> database like how much size it occupies on the disk (when it is
> installed) irrespective of tables size and how much RAM is needed for
> better performance of the database say, I have 4gb ram will it use
> all the 4gb ram or 2gb is sufficient in terms of usage and
> performance issues.
>
> Thank You, Aravind.

My install takes up about 33MB - depending on what options and any
add-ons like slony or postgis that you may add can increase that.

Your data can use many TB of disk space if you have the data and the
space for it.

RAM usage will depend on your system - 32 bit versions will max out a
little short of 4GB (I think it is about 2.5GB), you will need a 64 bit
system and postgresql binaries to use more RAM than that.
Whether postgresql can make use of that much RAM will depend on how you
configure postgresql, how many concurrent connections will be running
and whether your data is large enough to take advantage of it.

If you have some estimates on the size of your db (number of tables,
columns in each, expected number of rows, concurrent users, types of
queries) then you may get some guesses about whether 2 or 4 GB will
suit your situation.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz