Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2
Date: 2008-07-07 15:01:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> 2) contrib vs. pgFoundry
>
> There is unresolved answer if we want to have this in contrib or not.
> Good to mention that citext type will be obsoleted with full collation
> implementation in a future. I personally prefer to keep it on
> pgFoundry because it is temporally workaround (by my opinion), but I
> can live with contrib module as well.

Is there a concrete plan to get to full collation support (i.e. per
column) in any known time frame? If not, then I think a citext module
would be acceptable.

What does still bother me is its performance. I'd like to know if any
measurement has been done of using citext vs. a functional index on
lower(foo).

cheers

andrew