Re: Better formatting of functions in pg_dump

From: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better formatting of functions in pg_dump
Date: 2008-07-01 11:47:26
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>>> Why the random switching between newline-before and newline-after
>>> styles? Please be consistent.
>
>> I thought they were all "after". On second glance, they still seem
>> all after?
>
> Oh, my mistake, I had failed to see that the patch was getting rid of
> newline-before style in this function. I think you might have gone
> a bit overboard on adding whitespace, but the previous objection is
> nonsense, sorry.

Yeah, I like idea of moving the "metadata" stuff before the function
body, but the whitespace is a bit too much. You can fit
" LANGUAGE plpgsql IMMUTABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER COST 100000" in
on one line without wrapping on a 80 col terminal. And we don't try to
guarantee any specific width anyway, you can get very long lines if the
function has a lot of arguments, for example.

I applied this simpler patch that just moves the "metadata" stuff before
the function body, leaving the whitespace as is (in newline-before style).

--
Heikki Linnakangas

Attachment Content-Type Size
better-pg_dump-formatting-2.patch text/x-diff 1.4 KB