Re: FTS question

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: d_rems(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FTS question
Date: 2008-07-01 07:52:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Damjan Rems wrote:
> SELECT * FROM clients
> WHERE to_tsvector('english',name) @@ to_tsquery( 'english','somestring');
>
> But if I want to query just part of the string return set is empty:
> SELECT * FROM clients
> WHERE to_tsvector('english',name) @@ to_tsquery( 'english','somes');
>
> returns no results.
>
> Is it that postgresql doesn't support substring queries or have I missed something. I can not find anything on the net. Postgresql is v8.3.1.

Um - you're using the full-text indexing. It's supposed to search words.

You can use any of the pattern-matching functions / operators (LIKE etc)
here if you want to explicitly match characters.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/functions-matching.html

If that's not what you're after, you'll need to explain what you are
trying to do.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd