Re: Remove redundant extra_desc info for enum GUC variables?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove redundant extra_desc info for enum GUC variables?
Date: 2008-06-30 19:58:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Yeah: LOG level sorts differently in the two cases; it's fairly high
>>> priority for server log output and much lower for client output.
>
>> Ok, easy fix if we break them apart. Should we continue to accept
>> values that we're not going to care about, or should I change that at
>> the same time? (for example, client_min_messages doesn't use INFO,
>> but we do accept that in <= 8.3 anyway)
>
> I'd be inclined to keep the actual behavior the same as it was.
> We didn't document INFO for this variable, perhaps, but it's accepted
> and has a well-defined behavior.

Sorry for not getting back to this one sooner, it ended up in the wrong
end of the queue.

Does this patch look like what you meant? It should split them apart,
and it also hides the undocumented levels, but still accept it (now that
we have the ability to hide GUC vars)

//Magnus

Attachment Content-Type Size
guc_message_levels.patch text/x-diff 3.7 KB