Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Git Repository for WITH RECURSIVE and others
Date: 2008-06-30 11:50:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>>> I discussed this with gitosis's author, and he wants to keep
>>> gitosis from becoming "a sourceforge reimplementation." He did,
>>> however, commit to stamping it 1.0 and putting up a TODO list.
>>> I'd like to package it up for FreeBSD and Fedora, those being two
>>> common platforms.
>> That would be good.
>
> It *would* be good, if the author seemed even vaguely interested in
> packaging up so much as a tarball, but he is not. His attitude
> is (paraphrasing from conversations with him the past few days), "it's
> good enough as a git repository, and everybody who's using it is a git
> administrator, so they should know how to wrangle git repositories."
> While he may someday outgrow this, we really should not put him and
> his attitude in critical paths for our project.
>
> Let's go with git-shell, which is supported and packaged software on
> just about every platform, and stop waiting for Godot^Wgitosis.

I'm not sure I agree that this is a big problem, but sure, we should at
least consider git-shell.

Is there any product out there that makes it possible to admin a
git-shell based system without having all the admins being root on the
server? Because that's simply not an option if you want anything
remotely scalable.

>>> It's complicated :(
>>>
>>> Wouldn't it be easier to have a gitosis admin team with the needed
>>> access?
>> Yes, that'd probably be easier, and it's what I'd start the
>> implementation out at.
>
> Here's an even simpler implementation: git-ssh and public keys. Yes,
> it involves work by administrators, which I'd be delighted to do.

Are you referring to git-shell, or is this a different product? If so,
reference to said product, please?

I certainly don't mind having the work pushed off to an admin team. But
it has to be automated enough that there is no risk that different
people se tit up differently. And it must not require root. Show me such
a solution, and I'll be happy to consider it :-)

//Magnus