Re: stat() vs cygwin

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Reini Urban <rurban(at)x-ray(dot)at>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: stat() vs cygwin
Date: 2008-06-28 17:50:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Heh. Maybe not dead, but certainly not really alive either ;-) Given the
> evidence in your patch that clearly 8.3 isn't quite up to speed on
> cygwin, and nobody has really noticed until now.

AIUI, only the gssapi stuff is broken. Most users are not likely to want
it on Cygwin I should think. (And plenty of distros are still on 8.2 and
earlier, anyway).

What would be nice would be for Reini to set up a Cygwin buildfarm
member that uses all the switches that the Cygwin distro wants to use.

> I also notice this in auth.c:
> +#ifdef·__CYGWIN__
> +#define·WIN32
> +#endif
>
> What is the need to change this for just one file? Seems very fragile -
> the rest of our codebase assumes WIN32 != CYGWIN, and I think we should
> keep that consistent.

Right. We have had significant grief from this in the past, and don't
need to return there. If we need it to get correct behaviour from some
header file, then it needs to be heavily commented and localised. But I
bet there are other ways to get the right result - that's what we've
tended to find in the past.

cheers

andrew