Re: BUG #4267: initdb fails

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Vadim Karacharsky <sw(at)mail(dot)ru>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4267: initdb fails
Date: 2008-06-28 13:16:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Craig Ringer wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Craig Ringer
>> <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
>>
>>> Alas, Process Explorer doesn't seem to work on Vista. MS think that
>>> Process
>>> monitor is a replacement, but it lacks all the handy detailed process
>>> introspection, thread control, etc that Process Explorer has.
>>>
>>> Frustrating.
>>
>> Eh? Process Monitor certainly works on Vista (although I haven't used
>> it on SP1 yet). I used it extensively when trying to figure out a
>> rather nasty bug issue in our privilege-shedding code a while back.
>
> Interesting. I've always had system stability problems after launching
> either it or filemon. I'm about to configure a clean Vista install (post
> hard disk failure) so I'll have to re-test. Perhaps there was a hook DLL
> or similar nastyness interfering.

Sorry, I just re-read your mail and noticed you said process monitor,
not explorer.

I've had issues with process *Explorer* on Vista. Process monitor works
perfectly, but seems to lack some of the features of process explorer.
This could have been system configuration specific, but I've seen enough
reports to think it's probably not.

Anyway, this is way off topic.

--
Craig Ringer