Re: Creating a VIEW with a POINT column

From: Jan Urbański <j(dot)urbanski(at)students(dot)mimuw(dot)edu(dot)pl>
To: Nick <nboutelier(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating a VIEW with a POINT column
Date: 2008-06-25 18:28:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nick wrote:
> I have a VIEW that consists of two tables, of which contain a POINT
> column. When trying to select from the view I get an error...
>
> ERROR: could not identify an ordering operator for type point
> HINT: Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.
>
> Any suggestions??? -Nick

Does your view per chance do ORDER BY <point_column> ? You should then
do as told and use an explicit ordering operator.
See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/sql-select.html#SQL-ORDERBY.

To get better feedback you really should post your view definition (and
the definitions of those two underlying tables).

Cheers,
Jan

--
Jan Urbanski