Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.

From: David Siebert <david(at)eclipsecat(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.
Date: 2008-06-25 16:33:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Well I am kind of stuck using OpenSuse. Not a bad distro and is the one
we use in our office for production work.
I like CentOS myself for database work and tend to use that for test
systems here since I manage them myself.
I was more wondering if someone had made a Postgres centric distro yet.
Sort of FreeNAS, OpenFiler, or what ever the Asterisk distro is called
these days.
Seems like you could build a nice little distro that was database
centric. Maybe use FreeBSD, Solaris, or Centos as the base.
Sort of a plug and play solution.
I do wonder just how well Solaris plus ZFS would work for a Postgres server.
I am lucky that my database is only several hundred thousands records
and only has a few dozen users hitting it.
It ran for the longest time on just a 400 MHZ PII and is now running
under CentOS on a whopping 600Mhz PIII with all of 256 mb of ram.
It is going to finally move to a real server with dual Xeons and a gig
of ram. That should keep it happy for a decade or two. Did I mention
that I love the performance of Postgres and Linux?